The House



The top photo is of the Ocean Bowl Skate Park in Ocean City, Maryland. The house, above, is a block away from the skate park. This is the location where I last saw my brother. He had been in OC with his long-time friend, Dave. I stopped by the skate park to watch them skate, as they've done for years. It was May of 2006. Specifically, the final vision I have of my brother is him kicking and coasting along on his skateboard on the street, in front of this house—which, if I'm not mistaken, was/is owned by a friend of his— while I drove away, waving good-bye. I swear to God (which I truly do not say lightly), I remember thinking it might be the last time I see my brother. I actually had that thought. I don't know why. I didn't know why at the time. I remember having that thought and skeptically dismissing it because it was such a crazy thing to think, ...right? 

The snapshot I have of him skating by is so vivid and I will forever cherish it. I will never forget how he looked: smiling, optimistic, excited to go to the bowl and make more videos of Dave and the other guys skating the ramps; his hair was blowing away from his face as he kicked. He had such a great time in OC. It was a beautiful moment, really. If I had to choose one vision to be the last of my brother, it would either be of him throwing clay, fishing, or skating. Luckily, I have photos of him doing all of those things he loved, and a final, wonderful memory of him enjoying life and having a good time. Amen, bruddah, amen.

2 comments:

Carey Christie said...

Trish, This is so beautiful I don't even know what to say. Thank you so much for sharing. I think of Bob often, and always picture him just like that - smiling, optimistic and excited. Bob knew how to enjoy life, and his attitude was extremely contagious.
I hope all is well with you. I check this site every once in awhile and just love how you are able to express your feelings in writing. You have quite a gift.
-Carey

Trish said...

Hi Carey!! Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm so happy to know you're checking out this site! I was thinking about you guys today b/c you all and Bob spent 2005 NYE together and I remember looking at those photos. I hope you are doing well. This blog definitely helps in a variety of ways. Nice to know people who were close to Bob enjoy it, too.